Thursday 17 February 2011

Ocean Colour Scene and Young Rebel Set @ Newcastle O2 Academy

Earlier this month I had the privilege of heading North to Newcastles O2 Academy to shoot Teessides finest, Young Rebel Set, opening up for Indie legends Ocean Colour Scene. OCS are one of my all time favourite bands and i've seen them live on numerous occasions but have never had the chance to photograph an OCS gig. This gig was particularly special to me as the band were performing their massive 1996 album "Moseley Shoals" in full. I was a 13 year old lad when this album came out and the music blew me away. 96 was a bit of a crazy year for me and Ocean Colour Scene provided much of the soundtrack. Chuck in the added bonus of yet another barnstorming YRS gig to look forward to and I was all set for a top night, camera in hand. At the venue I managed to get an access all areas backstage pass to go along with the photo pass for the pit. Sweet! After sound check and a few bottles of Stella Artois, complimentary of course, we were treated to a 3 course meal provided by Ocean Colour Scenes caterers. The food was spot on, cheers!

YRS took to the stage and went down a storm with the Newcastle Crowd, which by now was numbering 1000+. By the time the lads came off stage, the crowd were in a fine mood for the ensuing sing along of OCS classics.

When shooting gigs, the usual routine is for the photographer to be allowed to shoot the first 3 songs only. Tonight I was told that I could shoot for 4 songs and it was during the 4th song "lining your pockets" that I snapped my favourite images from the gig. Nice one!

Ocean Colour Scene played brilliantly and the 2000+ crowd absolutely loved it with "The Day We Caught The Train" being a particular highlight. I shot my 4 songs and headed off into the crowd to catch the remainder of one of the best gigs i've been to in years. Before they came off, I fought my way to the backstage area and managed to get a spot at the rear of the stage to shoot the encore. So now im on stage with Ocean Colour Scene, if you'd of told me that at 13 I would of been over the moon!









 Cheers to Young Rebel Set for getting us in!!

No comments:

Post a Comment